At the moment this blog in general will be about all things awesomely (and sometimes less awesomely) Microsoft.
However my focus will mainly be on 4 topics.
- SQL Server
- Business Intelligence
So how does one create a blog?
- Promise that you will start blogging
- Do other stuff for 3 weeks, some examples
- Reading Stephen Few’s great book: Information Dashboard Design that I got for Christmas
- Watching videos on Microsoft Virtual Academy
- Think of a good domain and blog name
- Settle with your own name
- Tell yourself you’ll think of a good name later on
- Register the domain and get some hosting
- Set domain name up to point to hosting
- Search for blogging software
- Settle with WordPress as it seems popular enough
- Remember you read a blog from some SQL dude stating he recently changed his comment system
- Research WordPress comment systems
- Settle for the free “Jetpack by WordPress.com” plugin
- Notice it’s not yet working and requires tinkering
- Look for a theme
- Notice there are a TON of (free and paid) themes
- Decide this is a task for Future-Jan
- Create your first post on your vanilla WordPress site, because why not!